Sunday, January 3, 2010

Nutcrackers. And no, I'm not referring to a group of angry feminists...

So, the holidays came and went. Not to mention, along with it my svelte figure thanks to an overload of holiday eating. But, thats neither here nor there. The holidays bring with them a lot of traditions that we all participate in, even if we're not sure why or where they came from. I have always wondered about how certain things become synonymous with a holiday or event.
My mom has an army of nutcrackers lined up on the mantle above the fireplace every Christmas. I have no idea of their origin or why my mother loves them so, but I do know they have been the staple of our fireplace decoration for as long as I can remember. The history of the nutcracker is a mystery to me, and so is how they became attached to Christmas. I'm sure I will be compelled to research them later, but for now, I just like to ponder about them. Have you ever really looked at a nutcracker? Yes, I know you've seen one, but I'm talking about actually looked at one without all your preconceptions. I don't know about you, but if you ask me, they are extremely goofy looking. Crazy 1970's Gene Wilder in Willy Wonka hairdo, teeth that would give a dentist nightmares, and not to mention those mustaches. Ok, well maybe those mustaches are pretty cool. Do you think anyone actually uses nutcrackers for what they're actually supposed to be used for? They seem more an aesthetic since I have never seen anyone actually use one. I guess one wouldn't need to since you can buy already shelled nuts. Unless, the nut factories employ thousands of these nutcrackers to shell all the nuts they sell. That could be a definite possibility. A little food for thought.


"Her Majesties Secret Service"
watercolor on watercolor paper

No comments:

Post a Comment